If you're confident in the face of surveyors' questions, if you're the staff member everyone wants on her quality improvement project team, if you shout at the television when doctors and nurses on hospital shows depart from standard practices, then OR Excellence's Tournament of Champions is the place for you. Our popular afternoon game show, in which teams of peers face off in a test of all things perioperative, is back for an hour of educational fun before Thursday's Margarita Madness. Buzz in with the correct answers and your team might win the prize and bragging rights of superior knowledge. Surgical savants Ann Geier, MS, RN, CNOR, CASC, and Stephanie Martin, BSN, RN, CNOR, CASC, will host the proceedings, which will quiz attendees on a wide range of subjects, as seen in the following examples.
1. Which of the following is not part of the Joint Commission's Universal Protocol?
d. time out
2. How many procedure codes are included in ICD-10?
d. more than 100,000
3. The ideal temperature for an OR is 68 ? to 75 ? F, according to AORN. What's that range in Celsius?
a. 18 ? to 20 ? C
b. 24 ? to 26.7 ? C
c. 31 ? to 34 ? C
d. none of the above
4. True or false? Researchers have determined that the average infection preventionist spends more time collecting and reporting data for CDC requirements than educating her facility's staff.
5. In addition to the minutes before closing, when should you count surgical sponges, sharps and instruments?
a. before the incision is made
b. before a nursing or scrub personnel change
c. before a cavity within the cavity is closed
d. all of the above
6. True or false? If an instrument is opened on the sterile field but not used, it is not necessary to reprocess it.
7. Which of the following is not required on the labels of drawn syringes?
a. the preparer's initials
b. the patient's name
c. the drug's strength
d. the time the drug was drawn
8. Which surgical prep is universally accepted as the most effective?
a. chlorhexidine gluconate
d. none of the above
9. Which of the following factors is responsible for 81% of first-case delays, according to an Outpatient Surgery Magazine reader poll?
a. slow room turnover
b. patient isn't ready
c. nerve block placement
d. surgeon running late
10. What does 4K video, the format also known as ultra-high-definition, bring to your display screens?
a. photos composed of 4,000 pixels
b. high-definition video in 3D
c. images in quadruple the resolution of full HD
d. details captured by 4 independent, miniature cameras
11. What is the leading cause of slips, trips and falls in the healthcare workplace?
a. texting while walking
b. tangled cords stretched across OR floors
c. contaminants on the floor
d. carrying heavy equipment
12. Which patient population is least likely to suffer intraoperative hypothermia?
a. obese patients
b. female patients
c. pediatric patients
d. elderly patients
13. What percentage of nurses have been bullied by a co-worker, according to the American Nurses Association?
a. less than one-fourth
b. almost one-third
d. more than 65%
14. At what distance are OR staff protected from direct exposure to most of a C-arm's radiation?
a. an arm's length away from the image intensifier
b. 6 feet from the imaging field
c. 12 feet from the imaging field
d. outside of the OR door
15. What is the maximum allowable temperature for safe use of a blanket-warming cabinet?
a. 120 ? F
b. 130 ? F
c. 140 ? F
d. 150 ? F